Saturday, July 01, 2006

Psalm 58: The World is a Mess

The world is a mess,
And so am I
Sometimes my anger doesn’t have a place to go
And I just want to scream, and blame, and despair.

(Though I have to say that even at my worst, I manage better
  than the author of this psalm,
  which is one of the ones that gives God a bad name.)

The rulers of the earth are arrogant and greedy,
The people who might do something are asleep and
  complacent and feel powerless.
The masses are anxious and overwhelmed.
Wake us up, God,
Remind us of what is important!

I can’t bring myself to pray
   that their teeth be pulled
  or that they wither like trodden grass.
and as for bathing my feet in their blood
  just help me to forget that I read that, please.
All this excess of anger, though,
  it helps me realize--things really are bad
and that my sin is not being angry enough about it.

I can’t seem to bring myself to pray for more anger,
  but I suppose I could pray for the courage to wonder
  what’s going on and what I could do about it.

The world is a mess.
and so am I.
I can’t stand to be angry; it is one of my great faults.
Have mercy on us all, O God.

No comments: