Monday, September 18, 2006

Psalm 10 Agnostic's Prayer

Some feel your presence always
   But you are hidden from me.
There are those who ignore you so that they can
  pursue their heedless ways-
They curse, deceive, oppress their neighbors, make war, horde,
  and get rich at the expense of others.
They think you don’t notice.
  They say you love them anyway.

As for me, I can’t seem to be sure that you are present
   or active in the world, what with all the forgoing.
If you love those who ignore you and use their lives for ill,
  Do you love those who can’t find you, but use their lives for good?
I do try—I hope you see—but even if you don’t
  That’s the connection I have to you and to your people.
Strengthen my heart for good, O God,
  Help me to bring about your kingdom here.

4 comments:

Andrea Christine said...

Best wishes on Judgement Day!

Revelation 22:18-21 says:

I warn everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: If anyone adds anything to them, God will add to him the plagues described in this book. And if anyone takes words away from this book of prophecy, God will take away from him his share in the tree of life and in the holy city, which are described in this book.

He who testifies to these things says, "Yes, I am coming soon."
Amen. Come, Lord Jesus.

The grace of the Lord Jesus be with God's people. Amen.

Anonymous said...

Regarding Andrea: What a terrible thing to say on a blog that seeks only to comfort the souls of those who God or Reason has chosen a path of uncertainty.

It is because of the illegitimacy of so much scripture that mainstream religion has been found wanting for universal truths. (Try reading up on history that isn't delivered from the pulpit.)

*sigh*

But she'll never come back to see this once she's been here to evangelize.

Keep up the good work, Christine.

Anonymous said...

found this blog by accident, searching for a Agnostic Prayer to post in our non-religious care2 group. Did any of you read the article of the New York Times magazine on Sept.16 2009
The Right Way to Pray?

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/20/magazine/20Prayer-t.html?_r=1
people like Andrea,well what can I say..are stuck in what they think is reality and is all Myth.Poor thing.

Anonymous said...

This is just beautiful. SO beautiful. Thank you greatly for your wonderful work on the Psalms! I'm using this one and Psalm 107 for worship on Sunday. Do you have a preferred way for me to cite you?